The history of the National Library dates back to the times when Namibia was a German colony established a library for its own administrative purposes, the Bibliothek des Kaiserlichen Gouvements. Volumes and books from this institution still found in the present Namibia National Library. During the First World War the victory of the South African troops in 1915 ensured that the library was taken over by the new authorities. In 1926 it was integrated into a library created for the settler parliament, the “Legislative Assembly of South West Africa”, and called Library of the Legislative Assembly which is today’s Parliament building. It began functioning with a small collection of books that were formerly the property of the German Government.